a week ago
Who are we?
Focused Labs is a software product development consultancy that uses modern, lean practices to help companies unlock opportunities by building software on top of existing core systems. We take a unique approach to deliver products to market quickly while meeting the business and customer needs of our clients. Teams are cross-functionally made up of developers, product managers, and designers who share responsibility to deliver high quality software products to clients and consult client teams in gaining the capabilities to continue doing the work after the engagement ends.
- *Listen first - we are experts when it comes to software, but life long learners in the domain of our customers. We listen, collaborate, and iterate closely with our clients.
- *Learn why - we are deeply invested in the outcomes of our clients and apply our expertise to make wise technology decisions with them.
- Love your craft - we love programming and the craft of software engineering.
What would you be doing?
As an Engagement Manager, you will be accountable for ensuring client satisfaction with the delivery of custom software development projects. You will partner and consult with internal and external stakeholders, manage Focused Labs consultants, and ensure high-quality product management and design practices.
- Partner with clients and ensure engagement health for the entire engagement lifecycle, from kick-off to conclusion. Take action to remedy concerns, as needed
- Manage consultant allocations to ensure skill fit for projects and manage budget burn down
- Ensure engagement deliverables meet quality standards and client requirements
- Conduct risk management and mitigation planning
- Establish and maintain strong client relationships
- Identify opportunities for additional project work and collaborate with the sales team to pursue those opportunities
- Manage and mentor consultants, including conducting performance evaluations, providing constructive feedback, and making hiring and firing decisions.
- Support consultants in their self-directed career development plans to ensure ongoing growth and success
- Oversee company wide practice management with regarding to product management and design
Why are we excited about you?
- You are a highly motivated leader who takes opportunities to better themselves, their team, and their organization
- You have experience as a consulting product manager or product designer
- You value accountability and feedback when managing people and use a coaching approach to bring out the best in individuals
- You maintain strong relationships with clients, past and present
- Managing across multiple engagements is a balance you enjoy. You can gracefully switch context and know when to realign your focus.
- Your communication skills across multiple mediums (written, calls, in person, etc) earn trust and instill confidence in clients and colleagues
- You believe the client experience defines a consultancy and create best in class experiences for each client
- You stay up to date with industry trends, new practices, and are considered a thought leader in companies you work and communities you participate.
What to know before you apply:
- Focused Labs is a remote-friendly company with office locations in Denver and Chicago.
- This role will require travel for client meetings (roughly 5-10 times per year), all company offsite (2 times per year), and strategic internal meetings (2-3 times per year). We try to maximize in person time for multiple uses (i.e. client and internal meetings during one trip) where possible to minimize travel requirements.
We believe employees should be paid fairly and equitably. Salary ranges may vary depending on your location and previous experience. The expected salary range for this role is: $160,000 - $200,000 with a bonus structure.
... But with a nicer setup. Everyone on our team is reimbursed up to $1,000 to kit out a comfortable home office.
We all keep Focused Hours — 8:30 to 5:30 Central — so you're always working directly with your team.
We don’t do annual reviews for the same reason we don’t release software once a year. We reward good work when it happens.
Our salary ranges are transparent and raises are discussed when you earn them, so everyone gets fair pay.
We match 100% of your contributions for the first 3% of your salary and 50% for the next 2%, vesting immediately.
We allow you to change your major medical plan up to 4 times per year.
21 vacation days, 5 sick days — enough time away to really like it when you're here.
Everyone gets 12 weeks of fully paid leave to welcome new family members — and a structured welcome back to work.
Our Core Values
We’re passionate about being the best at what we do, down to every detail.
We listen, collaborate and iterate closely with our clients and each other.
We keep asking questions, to continuously learn and continuously improve.