Who we are
Here at Focused Labs, we are a boutique software consultancy that wants to improve the world of software engineering through excellence. We help companies solve tough problems while delivering products to market quickly, providing end-users with fantastic digital experiences and upskilling in-house product development teams. Our unique approach and proven track record help us build sustainable, trusted partnerships.
- Listen first We are experts in product practices but lifelong learners in the domains of our customers. We listen to our clients, we listen to our users, and we listen to our peers, to collaborate and understand.
- Learn why We ask questions. We conduct research. We talk to users. We talk to our clients. We invest deeply in the problem spaces we solve.
- Love your craft We take pride in our design and product expertise. We are experts at what we do. We explain why and bring our customers along on the journey.
Design at Focused Labs
Focused Labs is on a mission to solve valuable problems and create exceptional, accessible products and experiences. We believe in building the right product, not just building the product right. Our design process is rooted in discovery, ideation, and iteration, with a strong focus on collaboration within cross-functional teams and close engagement with clients.
What would you be doing?
- Lead the Full Design Process:
Drive the design process from early discovery to in-production feedback gathering and iteration.
Collaborate with cross-functional teams to balance user needs, technical constraints, and business objectives effectively.
- Create Design Deliverables
Produce comprehensive design deliverables, including sketches, workflows, wireframes, prototypes, and high-fidelity visuals.Ensure that design solutions are aligned with client and user requirements.
- User Research:
Lead user research efforts through contextual inquiry, user interviews, usability testing, and other methods to inform product decisions.
Build empathy for users and translate insights into actionable design improvements.
- Client Collaboration:
Guide clients through the design process, providing rationale behind decisions and facilitating workshops and demos.
Work closely with clients to understand their goals and ensure alignment with the project vision.
Consult clients in such a way that their in-house design capabilities are improved through working with Focused Labs.
- Workshop Facilitation:
- Collaboration and Communication:
Collaborate with developers, product managers, and clients to determine priorities and best next steps aligned with the client's vision.
Communicate clearly and concisely, breaking down design problems into actionable steps.
We are excited about you, because you:
- Showcase a portfolio demonstrating breadth, creativity, process, and innovation across multiple technologies such as web, native, voice, and/or mixed reality
- 6+ years of experience as a product and UX designer
- Strong understanding of UX principles, for both consumer-facing and B2B applications
- Have proficiency in modern product design software (Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, etc.)
- Prior experience in design systems and a passion for solving complex design problems at scale.
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams, including engineers and product managers
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity. You have a bias towards action when it comes to getting work done.
- You are passionate about design being integrated into the agile software development process, not just a step along the way.
- Stay up to date with the latest research, UX, and visual design trends
- Have a track record of building trust and influence to develop the practice of design within an organization
- You don’t just build what clients ask for - you dive into a space, understand the business objectives, and work with clients to build solutions that best solve the problems at hand
If you had worked at Focused Labs over the last 3 months, you may have:
- Facilitated discovery training workshops to upskill peers on discovery best practices
- Created a research plan and conducted user research for API development for a two-sided marketplace
- Paired with other Focused Labs designers on branding and marketing side projects
- Paired with developers and product management to determine MVP for a greenfield customer marketplace
- Led a client kick-off for a new project, which means working face-to-face with our clients, planning and facilitating sessions to understand their goals and determine project next steps
What to know before you apply:
- This role is contract-to-hire, so you can expect some fluctuations in workload as you get ramped up. It is an opportunity for you to get to know Focused Labs, how we work, and vice versa. At the end of a satisfactory period of working together, we’d love to convert you to a full-time employee.
- This role should have a presence in their local office, Chicago or Denver, at least 2 days a week to collaborate with peers, clients, and prospects.
- This role will require up to 20% travel within the United States, as needed for client engagements.
- We believe employees should be paid fairly and equitably. Salary ranges may vary depending on your location and previous experience.
- The hourly rate range during the contracting period is: $90 - $130
- The annual salary range for this role is: $130,000 - $180,00
... But with a nicer setup. Everyone on our team is reimbursed up to $1,000 to kit out a comfortable home office.
We all keep Focused Hours - 9 to 4 Central - to collaborate with your team. Adjust the rest of your weekly schedule based on client needs, location, and preference.
We don’t do annual reviews for the same reason we don’t release software once a year. We reward good work when it happens.
Our salary ranges are transparent and raises are discussed when you earn them, so everyone gets fair pay.
We match 100% of your contributions for the first 3% of your salary and 50% for the next 2%, vesting immediately.
We allow you to change your major medical plan up to 4 times per year.
21 vacation days, 5 sick days — enough time away to really like it when you're here.
Everyone gets 12 weeks of fully paid leave to welcome new family members — and a structured welcome back to work.
Our Core Values
We’re passionate about being the best at what we do, down to every detail.
We listen, collaborate and iterate closely with our clients and each other.
We keep asking questions, to continuously learn and continuously improve.